Thursday, March 25, 2010

Thirsty Thursday

Quite honestly, I just made up this juice as I went. I went to the Farmer's Market yesterday and used a lot of what I bought- all local and organic. For those that are local, this is my favorite grower at the Farmer's Market. They are there on both Wednesdays and Saturdays. Which gives me an idea....I will have to do a post on my weekly visit to the Farmer's Market. Coming soon....

Ingredients
1 medium parsnip (of course)
1/2 cucumber (peeled if not organic)
2 white radishes
2 stalks of celery
4-5 carrots (I used very small ones, if using standard or large I would use only 1 or 1 1/2)
5-6 blood oranges
1 teaspoon of raw local honey (I used avocado honey)
1 wedge of a sweet lime

Run the 1st 6 ingredients through your juicer. Mix in 1 teaspoon of honey. Top with a squeeze of sweet lime and enjoy!


Ingredient spotlight: Blood Oranges
The red pigment in a blood orange is called anthocyanin. It is an antioxidant that decreases the risks connected to many illnesses including some age-related illnesses. Blood oranges may also reduce the threat of heart disease, certain kinds of cancer, and the accumulation of bad cholesterol. Furthermore, they may possibly lessen the risk of cataracts, and lend support in the body's natural healing processes.
Like all citrus fruits, blood oranges, are excellent sources of vitamin C. A typical orange provides about 130% of the recommended daily amount of the vitamin. It also provides fiber and are also is a valuable source of folate, calcium, and vitamin A.

For other juice recipes, type "juicing" or "Thirsty Thursday" in the search box in the upper left hand corner of this site.

No comments:

Post a Comment