Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Thirsty Thursday: Pretty as a Parsnip




Pretty as a Parsnip

Ingredients:

3-4 stalks of celery
1 parsnip (my new fave)
1/2 of a small cucumber
1 fuji apple
1 lemon
1 handful of mint

Run all of the ingredients through your juicer and enjoy!

I received some parsnips in my delivery from the fruit guys so I decided to juice them (of course). They have a great light, sweet flavor. I'd love to juice them with some ginger. I'll experiment with this one and let you all know how it goes.

Here are some of the benefits of parsnips:

Parsnips are a good source of vitamin C thus making them an immune booster as well as a potent antioxidant. They also have niacin (vitamin B3) which helps digestive system function, skin, and nerves. They also provide some vitamin E which is another antioxidant as well as potassium and dietary fiber. Parsnip juice contains far less calories than carrot juice which makes it a valuable ingredient in juice recipes that aim to help weight loss. Parsnip has been associated with improving bronchial tube functioning in the lungs and so may be of benefit to those who suffer from asthma. Who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment