Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Garden Update: Week 2

As you can see from the photos below, we have accomplished a lot since my last garden update. Dirt was brought in, supports were put in place, organic topsoil was mixed in and finally I was able to add some plants. The whole family helped bring the dirt from the front yard to the back. The girls enjoyed filling up their wheelbarrows and dumping it in the bed. Jason brought most of the dirt to the back while I raked it and evened it out. Audriana packed the soil down. Jason has also done a lot of work making the outside of the bed look nice. He stained the outside of the bed and added the supports. He also added a border around the bottom of the bed and raised the pipes to put the watering system in place. I bought baby plants and put them in the ground today. I planted tomatoes, zucchini, spinach, red leaf lettuce, yellow squash, artichokes, red peppers, broccoli, white kohlrabi, bok choi, eggplant, rainbow chard, parsley, cilantro, basil, oregano and mint. I also bought a raspberry and blueberry bush but have not quite got them in the ground yet. The girls had such a good time helping me put the plants in the soil. They especially enjoyed watering them with their new Dora watering can. We also planted carrot and parsnip seeds directly into the bed. Audriana’s seeds that she planted are getting quite big. The girls’ pumpkin and tomato seeds haven’t quite sprouted yet but should any day now. We will probably put one more bed together within the next week or so. Thanks for reading!

The photo at the top of this page was taken by my super talented daughter, Audriana. How does she figure out that pics like that will turn out so neat? She is so unique. :)


A family effort: Bringing the dirt from the front of the house and into the beds.

Raking....


...and raking.

The girls with their gardening gear and gerbera daisies ready to be planted.

Everything before we put it in the ground. So beautiful.

Planting Rainbow Chard

Watering.


The finished beds.


The start of my herb bed...a work in progress.

3 comments:

  1. Stephanie - Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and becoming a follower! Your garden looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Alissa. I enjoy your blog as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW the garden looks great. I can't wait to see the fruits (and veggies) of your labor.

    ReplyDelete