Monday, October 11, 2010

Mochi Waffles with Steamed Greens

This is so yummy that I have to pass this recipe on. I cannot take credit for it. It is from one of my favorite books, The Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone. I go through phases where I will eat this for breakfast until I run out of mochi until I move on to something else. Measurements are approximate as I am typing the recipe from memory.

Brown rice mochi cut into strips (approximately 5 strips).

Brown rice syrup

1 oz of walnuts

Splash of lemon juice

Any type of greens for steaming.


Place greens in a steamer basket and begin steaming. I used lacinto kale in the picture.


You can purchase mochi from a health food store. I buy the grainaissance brand, plain. (There are other flavors). It comes in a flat rectangular shape. I cut my strips the short width of the rectangle about 1/4". Place the strips in the waffle iron with just a bit of space in between. This is going to seem strange as the mochi is hard and you are going to be wondering how in the world it's going to turn into a waffle but believe me it will.


While it is cooking, toast the walnuts in a dry skillet. Remove from heat and let the pan cool slightly. Add 1-2 tbsp brown rice syrup to the walnuts and squeeze some fresh lemon right into the mixture.


Your waffle should be ready. Remove from iron and put it on the plate. Drizzle your syrup on top and place the greens on the side. So filling and eating those greens first thing in the morning is a great way to start the day! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment