Friday, January 15, 2010

Relationships: Food and You

I’ve been thinking a lot lately about how my relationship with food has changed since adopting a healthier lifestyle. One thing is for sure, I have always LOVED food. Nutrition was never an issue in my home growing up. My family lived on fried foods, red meat, high fat dairy, sugar, occasional fruit and a few canned veggies. When veggies were prepared, they were cooked so long and so many things were added (such as brown sugar and bacon grease- yuck) that the nutritional content was dramatically decreased. As a young adult, I ventured into the veggie and lean meat world and ate a bit healthier. However, I still had a long way to go and I often turned to fast food because it was cheap and easy. When I became a mother at the age of 20, I automatically wanted to do what was best for my child and feed her the healthiest possible foods. I breast-fed and made my own baby food. I, myself, ate healthy- sure, sometimes. Truthfully, I was not a great example. The problem is that nutrition to me always made a lot of sense; it was somewhat natural to me, but I just would not commit. I knew in my heart what I should be doing, but wouldn’t do it. I dabbled in health foods but always turned back to the foods I was rooted in which was a lot of red meat and way too much sugar. I had an unhealthy love affair with unhealthy foods; so much that I would hide, eat in my car, or lie about who ate the most of that cake or cookies, etc. I talked the talk but didn’t walk the walk. Last week on the Biggest Loser, they laid out a buffet of food that two of the contestants would typically eat in one day before Jillian Michaels. It was all fried, large portions….lots of fat, and loads of calories. A year ago, I would have been in heaven.

Today, if I tried to eat that food, I would literally be sick. I know that my body would reject it. So much has changed in my life today. I have applied everything I know about healthy eating to my life and to my family’s lives and I continue to research and read about healthy living. I lead a vegetarian lifestyle. I eat, at the minimum, 9 servings of fruits and vegetables each day. At least half of each meal is completely raw and uncooked fruits and veggies. I don’t drink soda. The truth is I still LOVE food. But now I love to pick it out; choosing only the freshest organic produce available. I love to prepare the food, putting my mind (knowledge of healthy eating and balance), my heart (especially when preparing for my family) and soul into the meals I prepare. When I sit down to eat, I look at the beauty of the food before me. My taste buds are much more sensitive now. My food does not have to be drenched in salt, sugar, or grease to taste good. I can taste the flavor of each ingredient and savor it. Never do I hide and eat food, overindulge or feel guilty about what I eat. I still love indulgences. But my indulgences have changed. I eat dark chocolate with almonds or a piece of organic zucchini bread. I am more satisfied with food than I have ever been. Food makes me feel alive and energized. I know that my body is sacred and worthy of the best and freshest food available and that makes me feel content.

No comments:

Post a Comment