Thursday, December 17, 2009

The Dilemna

Honestly, I have struggled a bit over the past few weeks with holiday sweet cravings and have given in on occasion. The result…there really wasn’t one. I continued to eat healthy and continued to exercise 6 days a week. I didn’t gain a pound. The lesson I have gained through this experience was that it is okay to treat yourself every once in a while. Just don’t go overboard. My problem is that I LOVE to bake. I inherited it from my mother and I truly feel that I have a gift in the area just as she did. I’m probably not the best cook in the world, but I am ranked high in the baking department. What dilemma, you might ask, comes along with baking? It lies within the endless sampling that goes along with a day of baking. However, I was able to find a trick. I made all of my dough for cookies and took a small sample of each type of dough. While preparing the dough, I chewed sugar free gum. I baked everything- chocolate chip cookies, peanut butter cookies, no-bake chocolate peanut butter oatmeal cookies, toffee bars and magic cookie bars. Everything was pure “evil” (I like to call things evil when they taste delish but are extremely fattening) as it was all devilishly good. I tried a small sample of each completed item and I was happy. Then I packaged up 17 little goody bags and delivered them to my friends and family. I didn’t leave even a piece behind. I got the baking out of my system without any damage to my hips and thighs and was able to share a little Christmas joy with those that are important to me. In the end, I felt that power within me- that I was able to exhibit self control, but still indulge just a bit. I had control and it was awesome.
A group shot of the temptations:
Magic Cookie Bars (the most evil of them all) and Peanut Butter Cookies
My Much Requested Chocolate Chip Cookies and My mom's No-Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmel Cookies
Toffe Bars

No comments:

Post a Comment