Saturday, December 12, 2009

You Are What You Eat


Here is food for thought: “You are what you eat.” We’ve all heard this comment, but have you really considered what it means? During the summertime, I read “Skinny Bitch” and it wasn’t until I read this book that I had ever really thought deeply about this comment. If you eat foods high in fat, the ugly and painful truth is that you will be fat. What do you want to put in your body? As the Skinny Bitch ladies boldly put it, “Every time you put crap in your body, you are crap.” Okay, I am not a freak that goes around shoving vegetarianism down peoples’ throats, but I am proud to say I am a vegetarian. This well known phrase was the convincing phrase for me: “You are what you eat.” Do you eat meat? Here is what you are eating: hormones which are given to plump up those animals in a hurry so the corporate factory farms can make more money, the pesticides that they essentially are eating because their food is treated with them, steroids: more plumping action, antibiotics to safeguard the animals from getting sick because they live in unsanitary conditions. You are eating the fear, grief and rage that they experience when being processed as your food source. In many cases, you are eating the illnesses that many of these animals endured during their lifespan. Fruits, veggies and grains are raised in fertile soil with sunshine and water. I buy 90% local organic produce. This is a better picture in my mind.

Are there options? YES. Can you get enough of the proper nutrition you need from a plant based diet? Of course you can. I have been a vegetarian for only a few short months- only four months to be exact. I have found the benefits to be well worth the change. I have experienced changes in my skin, digestion and energy level. My immunity to illness is higher than it’s ever been. For me, this is a decision I have made for my health. My husband and children are not vegetarians but as a result of my choice to become one, my husband, who ate red meat very regularly, only eats red meat maybe once a week. The meat I prepare for my family is natural. The animals are raised without the use of any of the above said antibiotics or hormones, etc. The beef my husband and older daughter (my two youngest daughters do not eat beef) eats are from cows that are grass fed and the chickens are free range chickens. I pay a little extra but I think the real cost of buying cheap food will catch up with one later in life so I feel this is an investment in their health.

No comments:

Post a Comment