Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Cleaning Out the Fridge

That's what I did late Tuesday morning in anticipation for my visit to the Temecula Farmer's Market on Wednesday. I had a lot of veggies and fruits to use up. As a result, a few yummy creations were made.


Aduki Bean and Veggie Soup




Of course this is something that I made up as I went along.
-1/2 box of organic vegetable stock
-water as needed

Veggies:

-Several carrots cut into rounds
-2 celery stalks, sliced
-1/2 onion, diced
-1 large leek, sliced
-1 handful of broccoli, chopped
-1" piece of kombu seaweed, chopped (locals, I found this at Sprout's Natural Market)
-1/2 daikon radish, diced
-2 cloves garlic, pressed
-shoyu, sea salt fresh ground pepper to taste
I simmered all the veggies in the vegetable stock/water until soft. I then added a can of Eden Organics Aduki Beans and simmered for 15 minutes longer.

That was my lunch. I went to yoga with my daughter and when I came home, my husband heated the soup again but he added lasagna noodles and black beans. What a treat to come home to after a challenging power yoga session.


Juice- Un-named :)

While the afternnoon soup was simmering, I made a delicious juice. I used the following fruits and veggies:

-1 parsnip
-Several small carrots
-2 apples
-1 small orange
-1 star grapefruit

Run throught that juicer...refreshing!

Umeboshi Radishes


I also had some radishes that needed to be used. Following the lead of Alicia Silverstone in her book The Kind Diet, I decided to pickle them in umeboshi vinegar.

-5-6 radishes, thinly sliced
-1/2 cup of umeboshi vinegar
1 cup of water.

Place ingredients in a jar and cover with cloth for 24 hours or up to 3 days. I'll let you know how they turn out!

1 comment: