Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Garden Vegetable Soup

We've had some cold mornings the past few days. Yesterday, when I woke up it was 26 degrees and today not much warmer at 33 degrees. It seems to take me forever to warm up once I get that cold. I went to yoga where I was actually able to be a student and not a teacher and warmed up nicely but once I walked back into the elements, I felt frozen to the bone. I picked up my Kindergartner and wanted something really grounding and highly nutritious for lunch and I couldn't think of a better meal to fit my needs today but a large pot of homemade soup. So I decided to invent a really hearty, palate pleasing soup. I was so pleased when not only my husband really liked it but the teenager did too. She dished herself up a bowl before leaving for track practice and said she wasn't that hungry but it tasted really good so she kept eating it. Makes my heart smile. :)

Ingredients:
6 cups filtered water
3 Organic Gourmet vegetable bouillon cubes
1 can undrained diced tomatoes with basil (try to find the Eden Organics brand
3 small zucchini
3 carrot
2 red potatoes
3 stalks celery
1/2 of a large onion
1 cup to 1 1/2 cups crimini mushrooms
6 oz broccoli (I used half of the bag that is pictured)
1 cup frozen corn
1 cup frozen peas
1 strip of kombu seaweed
1 cup coconut milk
1 tsp basil
1 tsp parsley
garlic salt and crushed black pepper to taste












Directions:

Chop all the vegetables as desired except seaweed. Place water in soup pot and bring to a boil. Turn off heat. Add bouillon cubes and stir with a wire whisk until dissolved. Add the can of tomatoes. Stir in remaining ingredients. Bring soup to a boil and then lower to a simmer and cook uncovered 30-45 minutes until veggies reach desired texture.


Now warm up and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment