Tuesday, February 8, 2011

CSA

Well, I finally joined the Inland Empire CSA and received my first box last week. (If you are not exactly sure what a CSA is, see the video posted above.) I set my pick-up location for Pizza Fusion in Temecula on Thursdays. However, when I arrived to pick up my box, it was not there. I contacted Gary who handles new members/paper work, etc and I received a phone call on Friday morning. To make up for the upset, the box was delivered to my home that afternoon. You have the choice of ordering either a full share or a half share. I ordered the full share and was greatly impressed with the amount of produce in the box. It was so extremely fresh with so many lovely winter greens. I was familiar with everything in the box but with the large amount of food, it was a good opportunity for my family to try some new veggies and greens. I try to be an example to my husband and children and although they don't eat everything that I eat, they are in the process of becoming more open to foods such as greens. That night I made a yummy asian cuisine for them which included lightly sautéed baby bok choi. I am so glad that I finally joined as I am forced to eat my least favorite but extremely healthy veggie: beets. I am well aware of the benefits of these beautifully colored roots but the taste for me is not one of the benefits. I have been juicing these little beauties and what do you know….I am becoming somewhat accustomed to their taste. All in all, this is going to be beneficial for all of us. Not only will it benefit our family, but there are other benefits to our membership. By becoming a member, you are dramatically reducing your carbon footprint. Food often travels a great distance to make it to your local grocer. The two farms that provide for this CSA are local to this area. The food is also organic and sustainably farmed. The soil is not being polluting with chemical fertilizers, pesticides and herbicides and therefore the food is much healthier as it provides more nutrients than commercially produced food. In addition, the food is extremely fresh, often picked the day of delivery. You are also supporting small family farms. As more and more small farms are losing out to 'agribusiness', joining a CSA is great way to support a family farm. You will have the opportunity to try new foods that you are not familiar with. I also find that this is also a good choice economically. I don't think I would be able to get the same amount of organic food that I am receiving in my box for the same amount of money. So check out the photos of my first box. If you are interested in joining, you can follow the link the Inland Empire CSA which will provide you with additional information. http://www.inlandempirecsa.com/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment