Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Oatmeal, Walnut and Dried Plum Cookies

I cannot take credit for this recipe. It came from Alicia Silverstone's book The Kind Diet, and I am a huge fan of her book. I feel the need to pay this one forward. I was surprised at how wonderful these cookies tasted. The lack of nasty ingredients made them even more appetizing. My picky four year devoured two and had to be cut off.

Makes about one dozen cookies (thank goodness that's all)

1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup maple sugar (I have yet to find maple sugar, so I used organic cane sugar)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/2 safflower oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp molasses
1/4 cup chopped dried plums (or other dried fruit)
1/4 finely chopped walnuts

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Combine oats, flour, sugar, baking powder, bakig soda, and salt in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the syrup, oil, vanilla extract and molasses. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir. Fold in dried fruit and nuts.

Roll tbsp size scoops of dough into balls. Place on a baking sheet....I used a pampered chef stone. Press the tops of the balls down slightly to flatten. Bake for about 10 minutes or until lightly browned. I let mine cool on the stone until they hardened. So delicious!

Variations: Replace flour with gluten-free baking mix as long as it does not inlcude baking soda and baking powder. You may also use braley or spelt flour and if you HAVE to unbleached all purpose flour. Throw some other types of nuts in or carob chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment